AdBlocking is a very popular tool that enables users to browse sites without seeing ads. This can be very detrimental to publishers that depend on ad revenue. Luckily, Sovrn created AdBlock Unlock to help persuade readers to allow ads on sites that they enjoy.
Read on to learn how to install and configure AdBlock Unlock.
Adblock unlock is available to all Sovrn publishers, however, if you are managing more than 10 domains with your Meridian account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
How to Enable AdBlock Unlock
1. Click on the “AdBlock” tab above “Community” in Meridian.
2. Click on “Let’s Get Started.” This will generate code associated with a random domain unique to you and only small number of other Sovrn publishers.
3. On the next page, click “Copy.”
4. Paste the code directly* into to your header, footer (recommended), or elsewhere on your site. Please note that the code below is only an example.
5. Click “My code is in. Let’s go!”
6. You’ll see the page below for a few minutes or longer depending on how much traffic your site gets. When you think at least 100 visitors have been to your site, click “Try Again. While we detect every user, we process detailed data for about 1-10% of your overall sessions and therefore it may take some time for enough traffic to visit your site and their sessions to be processed and displayed.
7. Once we’ve processed enough data and you’ve clicked on “Try Again,” you’ll see your initial results.
8. We’ll reach out to when we’ve collected enough data to make monetization recommendations.
In addition to detection, Sovrn offers several strategies to address ad blocking users. Detailed configuration instructions are available below.
Sovrn offers several strategies to help you mitigate the effects of adblocking on your site. You can select and configure your strategy in the settings section adblocking tab of Meridian.
Selecting an AdBlocking Mitigation Strategy
There is no one size fits all strategy for adblock mitigation. We offer a spectrum of configuration items that convert adblocking users into monetizing users. As you make the controls stricter, the conversion rate tends to increase. Of course, you may cause users that insist on using an adblocker to never use your site again. At the strictest control, adblocking users are prevented from accessing your site entirely.
When deciding on a strategy we recommend considering the following factors:
General Impact of Adblocking on your Site
Adblocking rates tend to be anywhere from 5 – 50% for everyday site traffic. Since there’s such a large range, it’s essential to understand how much of your traffic is blocking ads.
For sites that have less than 10% of their traffic adblocking, we recommend monitoring your blocking rates and ensure they do not increase. For sites that have more than 10% of their traffic blocking ads, we recommend a mitigation strategy.
Strategies for Adblocking Mitigation
You can select and configure the mitigation strategy for your site in Meridian in the settings section of the adblock tab. Currently, we offer the following mitigation strategies
- Detect and Measure
- Whitelist Messaging
Detailed descriptions and configuration instructions are available below.
Detect and Measure
Detect and measure helps you understand the impact of adblocking on your site. With this option, we detect adblocking users who visit your site and record basic measurement information. None of your users are impacted by this option.
To enable Detect and Measure, select it in the Mitigation Strategy in the settings section. No additional configuration is necessary.
This option has the same detection functionality as Detect and Measure. However, adblocking users are shown a message, requesting that they whitelist your site. Only users who use adblockers are impacted by this option.
To enable Whitelist Messaging, select it in the Mitigation Strategy in the settings section. There are four available configuration options.
- Message Title – This is the top section of the message dialogue. The default value for this field id <h1 class=”title center”>We see you are blocking ads.</h1>. You can either edit the text inside the header an/or enter your own HTML into the form field.*
- Message Text – This is the second section of the message dialogue. The default value for this field id <h4>Ads keep our lights on. Please whitelist us.</h4>. You can either edit the text inside the header and/or enter your own HTML into the form field.*
- Allow Dismissal – This checkbox controls the checkbox on the message dialogue. If this box is unchecked users with adblocking enabled will be prevented from accessing your site.
- Pageviews Before Redisplay – This field controls the number of times a user can load a page on your site before the message dialogue is displayed again. The lower this number is the more intrusive the messaging becomes.